Call 1800 321 789 for advice and appointments.
Lines are open Monday – Friday 8am – 5pm (Eastern Standard Time)
There are many treatments for migraine and strategies include trigger avoidance, relaxation and cognitive behavioural therapy, and oral medication. Recently, a well-known muscle-relaxing medication has been approved by the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS) for the treatment of chronic migraine (>14 days headache including migraine in a 30 day month).
Advantages of this treatment include:
- Clinically proven to reduce headaches by approximately 50% from baseline. Continuing improvements with further injections (PREEMPT)
- Clinically proven to improve other measures of headache severity and quality of life
- Has no sedative properties and no interactions with other medications
- Can be given to the ‘trigger’ points in superficial injections just under the skin with ultra-fine needles
- PBS rebatable therapy when administered by a neurologist, after 3 or more preventers (drugs that you take every day) have been tried or not possible to be tried in the past.
There is only one injection method that has been evaluated and proven in a randomised controlled trial (PREEMPT study). All our neurologists are specially trained in that injection technique and can advise if this is the best course of action for you. Even if it is not, there may be other solutions that may be right for you. It is a good idea to keep a headache diary – see here, so that your doctor can have an impression of what your headache pattern and type is like.
How to book with MigraineDoctor
Call our info line or submit an online form enquiry, so that we can assess if our team of doctors can help you.
Obtain information about your nearest clinic from our team.
Make an appointment to see the specialist with the information provided.
While waiting for your appointment with our specialist, see your doctor/GP regarding the necessary referral to our specialists. Find out from all sources and your GP about all the preventative medications that have been tried in the past.
Call 1800 321 789 today to get control of your life. Lines are open Monday – Friday 8am – 10pm and weekends/public holidays 10am to 8pm (Eastern Standard Time)